DIY Surface Skimmer Links for the Reef Aquarium Hobbyists

A good question before starting is, what is the job of a surface skimmer? You will not find a lot of information on the web about what a surface skimmer does. But here is what I found out about them.

1. It skims dissolved proteins to suppress nutrient buildup and preserve good water quality.

2. It improves oxygen exchange.

3. It allows better light penetration by getting rid of surface film.

4. It aids in bringing new layers of water to the surface.

If you are interested in making your own surface skimmer, then here are a few DIY links.

Micro Reef Surface Skimmer

Minimum Cost DIY Surface Skimmer

DIY Surface Skimmer for HOB

DIY Surface Skimmer Box

If you have come across any cool DIY sites, let me know about, and I will put a post here on my site.

PURCHASE NEW SURFACE SKIMMERS

If you are not into making things but you are still interested in adding a surface skimmer to your aquarium, then I have provided a few links for that as well. After doing some research I found out that the cost of a skimmer is pretty cheap. It may be better to buy one.

Fluval Surface Skimmer

JBJ Nano Cube M.S.S. (Modular Surface Skimmer) for 12G & 24G

Tom Aquatics Aquarium Surface Skimmer

Aqua Clear Surface Skimmer
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

23 comments:

Patrice said...

I have been using a surface skimmer for years and love it! I recommend this device!

Great blog BTW!

Anonymous said...

I was heard about Surface Skimmer before But I got a clear image about them. I suggest all to do this because it is good for our heart especially smoking people.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. keep it up

Anonymous said...

i had a overflow on my tank before i took it down, it is a lot of work to setup but worth it. the surface stays clean, you get a good oxygen exchange in the box and it improves the overall water flow in the tank.

Anonymous said...

The most important fact is that it improves oxygen exchange. Without this, it is at a loss. Oxygen is the key of life!!

Anonymous said...

I didnt know about that. Thank you very much for the information!Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for some information about coral reefs and I came to your site and I find it interesting. I'm nearing retirement and I'm exploring the things I can do when I'm officially retired.

Anonymous said...

Surface skimmer can be quite noisy from what I have read up on them are they necessary for unheated tanks? Or is there another better way of removing the film/scum from the water surface.

Anonymous said...

Definitely you will lose if you don't do a better SEO, In my opinion For the first Three months we have to keep our efforts by Submitting the site to to Directories, Posting comments on blogs, Social book marking. This way you improve more traffic to a site.
buy flowers

Anonymous said...

A surface skimmer is fairly important, ALTHOUGH I haven't had one for years and my tank seems to be just fine.

And as a note to everyone who is looking to build their own, it's not as easy as it sounds...I've tried and failed more times than I would like to count. (I should probably just give in and buy one...but it's a principal thing)

Anonymous said...

This was really helpful to me and my sister, we are preparing to make our first Aquarium :)

Anonymous said...

nice info especially for beginners...


~by coffee barista

Anonymous said...

When I prune stem plant the foreground etc. Ineviatably there ends a up being a ton of tiny plant clipping leaves etc floating around the tank.Its a royal pain to fish it all out with a net.So here's a soluation
Parts needed
Powerhead
Bottel
Filter form

Anonymous said...

Good tips. Everyone please do these. The work you put into it is worth it

Anonymous said...

Yeah this is really good for people who are addicted to smoke. This will help a lot.

Anonymous said...

Surface Skmmer is more required thanks for info.

Anonymous said...

Great guide, very useful. I'm a DIY guy also so I will definitely do this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

A really great post here. I assume there's a chance to post more about related theme here. Really great. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of the surface skimmer. I keep debating about them but I haven't felt like they really would enhance my tank. I think I'll try them!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the information very useful. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the interesting review.

Web hosting reviews said...

Good article thanks to link i sharing your link to my friends

Auto Auction said...

I have never come across with such surface skimmers. Interested to learn more, can you elaborate you topic. Thanks in advance.